Savage is an unincorporated community and census-designated place located in Howard County, Maryland, about 18 miles south of Baltimore and 21 miles north of Washington, D.C. It is situated close to the city of Laurel and to the planned community of Columbia. The former mill town is a registered historic place, and has many original buildings preserved within and around the Savage Mill Historic District.
The town was named for John Savage Williams, a Philadelphia merchant with interest in a mill on the falls of the Little Patuxent. In 1822 he and his associates, the Williams brothers, chartered the Savage Manufacturing Company, purchasing 900 acres of the White property for $6,666.67. The company produced sails for the clipper ships that sailed out of Baltimore Harbor, in addition to a wide variety of other cotton products.
Savage is located in southeastern Howard County, bordered by Columbia to the north and North Laurel to the southwest. U.S. Route 1 (Washington Boulevard) forms the southeast edge of the CDP. The historic Savage mill village is located in the southern part of the CDP, while a major freeway interchange between Interstate 95 and Maryland Route 32 sits on the northern edge of the CDP.